Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Science- What is water anyway

http://discovermagazine.com/2010/may/20-things-you-didn.t-know-about-water

"Hair on your skin can hold water droplets too. A hairy leg may get sunburned more quickly than a shaved one."

I think that was interesting, because it kind of makes sense. I just never really thought about, if it would make a difference, whether I had shaved my legs when I tanned.

"Good gardeners know not to water plants during the day. Droplets clinging to the leaves can act as little magnifying glasses, focusing sunlight and causing the plants to burn."

I find that interesting because I always thought, that watering plants would be best in sunlight.

"Although many doctors tell patients to drink eight glasses of water a day, there is no scientific evidence to support this advice."

That is an interesting fact because, the next time my dad tells me to drink more water, I can just tell him to go check my blog!

"The misinformation might have come from a 1945 report recommending that Americans consume about “1 milliliter of water for each calorie of food,” which amounts to 8 or 10 cups a day. But the report added that much of that water comes from food—a nuance many people apparently missed."

I think it's funny that a lot of people, don't pay attention to such an important fact.

"Call waterholics anonymous: Drinking significantly more water than is needed can cause “water intoxication” and lead to fatal cerebral and pulmonary edema. Amateur marathon runners have died this way."

This is what doctors should be telling us, or at least mentioning that we shouldn't over do drinking water.

5. Facts I found about water:

1. 3.575 million people die each year from water-related disease.
http://water.org/learn-about-the-water-crisis/facts/

2. A human can survive for a month or more without eating food, but only a week or so without drinking water.
http://www.waterinfo.org/resources/water-facts

3. One litre of spilled petrol can pollute 750,000 litres of water.
http://www.aqwest.wa.gov.au/Schools/WaterFacts.aspx

4. The kidneys will require time to adjust to new water intake level. This can cause someone who drinks a lot of water to become dehydrated more easily than someone who routinely drinks less.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_water#Requirements

5. The average person in the United States uses 80 to 100 gallons of water each day. During medieval times a person used only 5 gallons per day.
http://www.njawwa.org/kidsweb/waterfacts/waterfacts.htm

4 comments:

  1. I like that you included the bad sides of water as well as the good sides. I did not know that drinking too much water could kill you. Its interesting that they used so little water during the medieval times. However, they believed that washing was dangerous because it washed off the necessary oils. People died much younger back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, the most interesting fact here, is face 3, of the ones you picked. "One liter of spilled petrol can pollute 750,000 liters of water." I did not know this earlier and I think it is a very interesting, yet terrafining. I wish that a liter of spoiled petrol never enters a body of water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The interesting thing about plants is they tend to collect water thorughout the evening and day in their roots for use when photosynthesis requires it. Though it seems like photosynthesis happens during only the daylight, this isn't quite true. The primary collection of energy in the form of sunlight by chlorophyll molecules does happen during the day; however the use of water as an electron acceptor when evolving oxygen gas and storing carbon in its biomass actually occurs in the evening. This is the portion of photosynthesis called the dark reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice use of more reputable resources in your fact-finding. I did not notice a single .com amongst all of your websites reported.

    ReplyDelete